No 486 Maintenace Squadron
|26 August 1946||– formed at Schofields, NSW|
|22 June 1949||- moved to RAAF Richmond, NSW|
|20 April 1954||– moved to Canberra, ACT|
|29 August 1958||– moved to RAAF Richmond|
|3 August 1964||– Squadron disbanded|
|28 March 1966||– reformed at RAAF Richmond|
|November 1994||– based at RAAF Richmond, NSW|
486 Maintenance Squadron was formed at Schofields, New South Wales, on 26 August 1946 with an establishment of 10 officers and 247 other ranks under the command of Wing Commander A.J. Abicair.
On 22 June 1949 the unit moved to RAAF Richmond. During the 1950s the Squadron maintained Dakota aircraft, undertaking engine changes, engine overhauls and installation of long range fuel tanks, spraying equipment and electrical power in aircraft. Some Wirraway aircraft were also overhauled. On 22 August 1951, a Canberra bomber arrived and the unit was stood down to attend the taking over of the bomber.
On 20 April 1954 the Squadron moved to Canberra and became responsible for servicing of two Convair Metropolitan aircraft in addition to the Dakotas. On 29 August 1958 the Squadron returned to RAAF Richmond in preparation for the arrival of the new C-130A Hercules.
On 3 August 1964 the Squadron was officially disbanded –– personnel, quipment and technical records were equitably distributed between 36 and 38 Squadrons. On 28 March 1966, 486 Squadron was reformed under Squadron Leader C.M. Bevan at RAAF Richmond.
On Christmas Eve 1974 Cyclone Tracy struck Darwin and from then until New Year's Eve a maximum effort by Squadron personnel pushed 19 C-130s into the air bound for Darwin.
The 40th Anniversary of the Squadron was held on 26 August 1986 and in October 1988 RAAF Base Richmond hosted the Australian Bicentennial Air Show. 496 Squadron was given the task of supervising, coordinating and assisting tarmac movements and Squadron personnel found themselves servicing aircraft never seen before in Australia.
In the later years of the Squadron's history its role has been to undertake all C-130 Hercules aircraft servicing up to Depot Level Maintenance, as well as Boeing 707 aircraft servicing including flight simulators and all supporting ground service equipment. The Squadron still operates at RAAF Base Richmond.
|13 August 1943||- Squadron Leader C.F. Thompson|
|10 May 1944||– Squadron Leader L.M. Hurt|
|21 July 1944||– Squadron Leader P.J. McMahon|
|19 May 1945||– Squadron Leader R.M. Seymour|
|31 January 1946||– Squadron Leader A.R. Emslie|
|22 August 1946||– Wing Commander A.J. Abicair|
|1 December 1949||– Squadron Leader F.M. Timms|
|10 July 1950||– Flight Lieutenant F.T.J. Sellars|
|14 August 1951||– Squadron Leader J. White|
|19 March 1956||– Squadron Leader G.S. Smyth|
|27 October 1958||– Wing Commander G.F. De La Rue|
|9 January 1961||– Wing Commander F.A. Cousins|
|1 March 1961||– Wing Commander C.J. Leopold|
|28 March 1966||– Squadron Leader C.M. Bevan|
|6 February 1967||– Wing Commander J.C. Kane|
|August 1967||– Wing Commander E.R. McGeehan|
|17 February 1969||– Wing Commander E. Harrison|
|13 April 1970||– Wing Commander C.M. Bevan|
|15 January 1973||– Wing Commander E.J. Bushell|
|17 December 1974||– Wing Commander T.J. McGee|
|5 January 1977||– Wing Commander R.A. Budd|
|4 January 1979||– Wing Commander E.B. Watson|
|November 1981||– Wing Commander N.J. Conn|
|June 1984||– Wing Commander K.A. Pratt|
|January 1987||– Wing Commander E. Brown|
|October 1988||– Wing Commander R. Pryke|
|January 1992||– Wing Commander T.A. Roediger|
Vincent, D., Catalina Chronicle, Highbury, SA, 1981.